Viking Enterprise Solutions Introduces New NVMe-over-Fabrics Enterprise Storage Solution
May 24, 2021
Viking Enterprise Solutions, a product division of Sanmina Corporation, announced the VDS2249R.
The VDS2249R is a new 2U enterprise NVMe-oF storage solution is designed to provide suitable performance with low latency. According to Viking Enterprise Solutions, the new product includes a comprehensive software management interface and a design that minimizes infrastructure and cost requirements.
The design of the VDS2249R includes a high-bandwidth 2U enclosure with twenty-four 2.5 inch NVMe drives and is offered in two configurations: two 100 GbE ports or six 100 GbE ports. The 100 GbE QSFP28 network links provide NVMe-oF access to the drives without the need for a host CPU. Because the NVMe drives are shared over Ethernet, it provides performance similar to solutions with locally attached NVMe drives, delivering a combination of high performance of over 15M IOPs and low latency of less than 10µs. Two fabric modules include a PCIe switch network with direct access between the NVMe drives and external 100 GbE network ports.
The VDS2249R software management interface utilizes a 1GbE side band network to support an HTML interface that communicates via Redfish APIs and includes HTTPS session support. System firmware updates are also completed via REST API and the software management interface includes a comprehensive gateway to all the features of the NVMe bridges and enclosure. This gateway includes configuration options, performance statistics and logs, bridge firmware updates, enclosure health monitoring, power supply, fan monitoring, and alerts.
Features of the VDS2249R include:
- Full NVMe performance available over the network.
- Operation in either single or dual fabric modules for redundant failover.
- Management interface to control drive access control and provisioning.
- Hot-pluggable fabric modules, power supplies, and drives.
- SFF-8639, PCIGen 3 NVMe (U.2) drive support (up to 25W per drive).
- Dual-port NVMe drive support.
- Standard chassis customization and branding available.
- Full-featured management interface that provides status and control of the enclosure, as well as the fabric.
The VDS2249R will be generally available in June 2021.