Renesas Launches R-Car Gen3e for Automotive Infotainment, Cockpit, and Digital Cluster Systems
July 20, 2021
Renesas Electronics added a new series to its R-Car system-on-chips (SoCs) with the R-Car Gen3e.
Featuring six new members, the new R-Car Gen3e series of SoCs offers a scalable lineup for entry- to mid-range automotive applications that require high-quality graphics rendering, such as integrated cockpit domain controllers, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI), digital instrument cluster, driver monitoring systems, and LED matrix light.
According to the company, the new devices extend the R-Car Gen3 SoC products with increased CPU performance up to 50k DMIPS and 2GHz speeds to help carmakers navigate demands for continuous user experience, security, and safety improvements.
Renesas provides solutions featuring the R-Car Gen3e devices to shorten development time and reduce bill of materials (BOM) costs. Customers can combine the R-Car Gen3e devices with Renesas’ high-accuracy timing ICs, power management products.
Key Features of the R-Car Gen3e SoCs: R-Car D3e, R-Car E3e, R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, R-Car H3Ne, and R-Car H3e
- Increased CPU performance – up to 2GHz for the R-Car M3Ne, R-Car M3e, and R-Car H3e devices
- On-chip real-time Arm Cortex R7 CPU to eliminate the need for an external vehicle controller combined with a Renesas PMIC, reducing overall BOM costs
- Reduced development times with reference solutions for fast boot, HMI, and functional safety
- Board support packages updated with the latest versions of the Linux and Android operating systems
R-Car Gen3e Reference Solutions
- Pre-integrated software designed for application integration, for example for 2D/3D cluster HMI, welcome animation, rear-view camera, and surround view applications.
- VirtIO technology allows developers to add the reference solutions to existing applications without changing the existing Linux or Android application.
- Supports ASIL-B system safety requirements for applications such as telltale monitoring and camera freeze detection, as well as for true hardware separation in non-hypervisor cockpits.
- The R-Car Consortium (RCC) partner ecosystem includes system integrators, middleware/application developers, and operating system and tools vendors, providing solutions for the connected Car, ADAS, and gateway markets.
The R-Car Gen3e SoCs are available now in samples.
For more information, visit: https://www.renesas.com/products/automotive-products/automotive-system-chips-socs.