Sensata Technologies' Power Disconnect Solution Enables Faster and Safer Electric Vehicle DC Fast Charging
July 21, 2021
Several infrastructure OEMs are using Sensata's new contactor module as a power disconnect solution in electric vehicle DC fast charging applications. The solution contains the contactor and fuse pairing in a packaged module that protects from overcurrents and short circuits.
Sensata Technologies announced its new power disconnect solution for EV infrastructure OEMs designed to enable DC fast charging. The solution combines contactors and GigaFuses from Sensata's Gigavac brand harnessed to a mounting plate in a compact module. This simplifies installations while delivering system protection.
To compete with traditional internal combustion engines, EV charging systems are migrating from 400V to 1,000V, and from 50kW to up to 350kW to shorten charging times to less than 20 minutes.
Sensata's GigaFuse offers several advantages compared to a conventional DC thermal fuse, including the ability to:
- Open a circuit within 3 mS; faster than a conventional DC thermal fuse
- Open a circuit closer to normal operating conditions without nuisance tripping, resulting in less risk of damage
- Pair more easily with the contactor because of its unique electro-mechanical triggering mechanism
- Help prevent overloading, improving the performance of the contactor in the circuit
- Reduce thermal resistance; typically, 0.15 mohm
- Eliminate thermal aging due to low heat generation
For more information, visit Sensata Technologies.