Corvalent Launches Flagship, Feature-Rich Industrial Motherboards Based on Intel 9th Generation Technology
November 05, 2019
Smart design taps into bifurcation and comprehensive I/O options for unique flexibility coupled with 15-year production longevity for embedded OEMs.
Cedar Park, TEXAS - October 22, 2019 - Corvalent, a 25+ year leader in designing and manufacturing long-life, customized industrial computing solutions, today announced its most flexible, feature-rich motherboards to date, based on the 9th Generation Intel® processors and the C246 chipset formerly known as Coffee Lake. Released in close step with this newest chipset, Corvalent motherboards enable uniquely flexible embedded designs supported by extended availability. Slated to be in production for up to 15 years, Corvalent 9th Generation-based motherboards meet and exceed the longevity needs of embedded designers in medical, military and industrial arenas. Fully-featured with advanced functions such as bifurcation for increased flexibility and compatible with both 8th and 9th Generation chipsets, Corvalent's family of boards-in both ATX and Mini-ITX form factors-is now available for sampling.
"This new flagship product line embodies our focus on high performance. We opted to develop in step with Intel's 9th Generation for increased performance and core count, accommodating the increased power requirements of the Coffee Lake Refresh and smart implementations that include bifurcation," said Martin Rudloff, CTO, Corvalent. "This strategy also allowed us to introduce the fullest and most creative feature set on a single motherboard we've ever delivered. It's highly flexible and functional, reflecting the depth of embedded system performance needs well into the future."
Bifurcation, a key factor in the flexibility inherent to Corvalent 9th Generation-based motherboards, considers the various topologies that can be created from PCI Express (PCIe) x16 slots. Commonly used for PCIe graphics (PEG), most competing boards offer an automatic 2x8 design that disables bifurcation mode as well as the second PCIe slot. In contrast, Corvalent 9th Generation-based motherboards allow for manual selection of bifurcation, empowering system designers to decide how to benefit from the option, including using two x16 graphics cards simultaneously, each running at x8 speeds.
"For the largest spectrum of embedded applications, benchmarks validate that PCIe 3.0 support ensures no noticeable loss of performance with graphics running at x8-an excellent trade-off for the value of a second PCIe slot. Bifurcation is also optional instead of automatic, so system designers can readily include features like high-end RAID controllers, 10Gb fiber controllers or a second graphics card. Overall, much greater control and flexibility are in the hands of the system developer," added Rudloff.
Corvalent 9th Generation-based motherboards incorporate the Intel C246 chipset, enabling the ECC-memory and XEON® processor support so critical to high performance industrial computing applications. This Corvalent product family supports all 8th and 9th Gen processors on the Intel Embedded Roadmap, including the new 8-core i7 and embedded XEON processors. Additional key design and performance features include:
- Relocation of the PEG slot to decrease design complexity when riser cards are required in rackmount systems
- High power, up to 95W processor support
- More I/O options than typically available in a standards-based motherboard, including 4x USB3.1 GEN2 ports, 4x USB3.1 GEN1 or USB3.0 ports, 4x USB2.0 internal headers, six full handshake RS232 ports, and two Intel 1GbE Ethernet ports
- Powerful graphics engine with Displayport support, enabling cost-effective converters and daisy-chaining, and a VGA connector for easy backwards compatibility
- M.2 2230 E-key connector for all communication needs such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and more, and an M.2 2280 M-key connector with full x4 support for SATA or NVM memory storage
- Four SATAIII ports, including two horizontal to help clear any oversized card and two vertical connectors with SATADOM support (7+2)